For most borrowers, federal student loans don’t go away until you pay them off. But in rare cases, the government will discharge the remaining balance of your student loans.

In fact, there are seven options for student loan discharge (not counting the many student loan forgiveness programs for public service).

Whether you’re interested in bankruptcy discharge or disability discharge of federal student loans, here’s how you can qualify.


If you meet any of these conditions, the government will cancel the remainder of your federal student loans. You’ll have to apply for student loan discharge and keep paying your loan until the right agency approves your application.

However, note that canceled loans may still count as taxable income. Even though you won’t have to pay back your student loans, you might have to pay taxes on the discharged balance.


Federal student loans are for students at accredited colleges and universities. But if your school closes while you’re enrolled or shortly after you withdraw, you could qualify for student loan discharge.

More specifically, you must have been enrolled during or within 120 days of the school closing. If you withdraw more than 120 days after it closes, you won’t be eligible for student loan discharge.

If you find yourself in this situation, you’ll have the challenge of tracking down your academic and financial records. Because the college is defunct, try contacting the state licensing agency for your school.

Keep in touch with your loan servicer throughout the application process. If the agency approves your application, it will cancel 100 percent of your Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL), or Perkins Loans.


Unlike other types of debt, the courts rarely discharge student loans through bankruptcy. But in extreme cases of “undue hardship,” declaring bankruptcy will wipe out some or all of your student debt. There’s no hard and fast rule for what constitutes undue hardship, but there are a few general guidelines:

  • You’ve made good faith efforts to pay back the loan.
  • If you had to pay back the loan, you couldn’t sustain a minimal standard of living.
  • Your financial hardship is going to continue for the foreseeable future.

If you’re considering filing for bankruptcy discharge, you must decide whether your situation falls under Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Chapter 7 filers have virtually no income to pay back any of their debts; Chapter 13 filers might be able to repay at least part of their debt if their loans were restructured to make them more manageable.

Since student debt is not typically included under bankruptcy filing, you may need to enlist a student loan lawyer. This legal process can be long and expensive, so you must consider whether filing for bankruptcy discharge is worth the battle. Consider all your options, including income-based repayment, before choosing student loan discharge through bankruptcy.


If you’re facing a long-term disability that leaves you unable to work, you may qualify for Total and Permanent Disability Discharge (TPD). There are three ways you can qualify for TPD:

  • You’re a veteran with a service-related disability who can no longer work. You must submit documents from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • You receive Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income benefits.
  • You must submit supporting documentation and have a disability review scheduled within the next five to seven years.
  • Your physician determines that you have a total and permanent disability that has lasted for at least 60 months and will last for at least another 60.

Whatever documentation you provide, it must show you’re unable to engage in gainful employment. As a result, you can’t pay back your student loans.

To apply for disability discharge, contact the loan servicer Nelnet. Nelnet will provide you with the information you need for your application and it will tell your loan servicers to pause collection for 120 days while it makes a determination on your case.


This student loan discharge option applies primarily to Direct Loan or FFEL Program loans. It’s offered to victims of identity theft or false certification. There are a few different ways to qualify:

  • Your school falsely certified you as eligible to receive loans even though you didn’t meet the requirements.
  • Your school signed your name on an application or promissory note without you knowing about it.
  • Someone took out a loan in your name (identity theft).
  • You trained for an occupation at school that you can’t engage in due to a physical or mental condition, your age, a criminal record, or another qualifying reason.

If something suspicious happened with your student loans, you could qualify for this discharge option. Contact your loan servicer for more on how to prove false certification, unauthorized payment, or identity theft.

Continue Reading